- Would you like the option to create a new discussion group in less than three minutes?
- Do you need to run a small or large, public or private discussion group?
- Would you like to run a discussion on email, with an automatic online archive of discussions?
- Is limited bandwidth a concern for some of your participants?
- Would you like to be part of a bigger development community?
If you have answered Yes to any of the questions above, then Dgroups is probably a good solution to your needs.
What is special about Dgroups
- Dgroups is more than a tool: it’s a long standing, successful development initiative, like few others. 20+ organizations putting resources together.
- Accessibility and basically no learning curve: if you want to facilitate networks across multiple countries, email is the killer app as it’s (almost) always accessible, and nobody is excluded.
- Users don’t have to create an account on another platform, they have the email and that’s enough!
- Website is an add on to the email list – for archiving discussion, see other members profiles etc. so each network potentially has a micro-site that’s on the web, they can be found etc…at no additional costs
- A trial period is offered to potential members, so they can test Dgroups in all it features
Key facts and figures
- Launched in 2002
- Current membership: over 270,000 members worldwide
- Current number of groups: ~800
- Key features: (i) email, (ii) library, (iii) calendar, (iv) member profiles and (v) searchable members directory
- No advertisements
- Low-bandwidth friendly
- Respectful of privacy
- e-mail-based communication (core function) – email forums have been shown to be more effective, more dynamic and more useful to users than web-based tools such as web-based forums and wiki (eg KM4Dev study showed 73% Dgroups vs 13% Ning)
- Customisable individual profile and email delivery preferences
Back-end / administration
- Customisable moderation options
- Integration with other platforms: RSS and API
- Customisable group settings (open or closed)
- Customisable group home page
- Efficient helpdesk/technical support
- Functionality is continually improving, week-by-week, driven directly and personally by user feedback and demands
- Easily create groups and subgroups (no limit in number)
- Groups can be public or private
- Multilingual platform
- Platform can be used for intra and inter institutional communications
- Managed by a legal entity (Dgroups Foundation)
- Known brand, co-developed by different actors in development
- Annual fee paid by each organisation in the Dgroups Partnership
Interested in using Dgroups?
Contact us at dg-coordination[AT]dgroups.org