A world where every person is able to contribute to dialogue and decision-making for international development and social justice
Dgroups is an online platform for individuals and organisations working in international development.
It can be explained in different ways:
- As a place where individuals and organisations in the development sector can come together and interact with one another
- As a place to find groups who are interested in the same topics in international development as you are
- As a starting point for fostering groups and communities in international development
- As an aggregation of online groups working in the development sector on various issues, or
- As a joint initiative of leading international development organisations such as CTA, DFID, FAO, FARA, HIVOS, IDS and other organisations committed to support Dialogue through Development – see the list of current Dgroups Partners.
Dgroups started in 2002 as a project of Bellanet/IDRC (Canada) in collaboration with the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the Institute for Connectivity in the Americas (ICA), the International Institute for Communication and Development (IICD), OneWorld, the Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) and the UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA). As the number of partners increased, it was agreed that an independent legal entity was needed to support the initiative.
In 2009, the Dgroups Foundation was established in the Netherlands as a non-profit foundation, which now comprises 16 full Dgroups Partners and 6 Associate Partners.
As of December 2014, Dgroups counts over 800 communities, with more than 270.000 registered users. It delivers around 500.000 email messages each day, half of which are exchanged with and within African countries.